Tag Archives: Structure

Chase Log: April 1, 2017 – Valera, TX

I wasn’t too enthusiastic about this day, and in fact I originally had no intentions of even chasing. It wasn’t until I was eating lunch that I decided what the heck, it’s close by and I’m available, I might as well go for it!

The SPC only had a 2% tornado risk, and I didn’t see any reason for it to be any higher than that. Dewpoints were pretty meager, low-level winds were rather weak, and convective models were showing a pretty quick progression to a linear mode. Add to that a bit of a crashing cold front, and the ingredients for tornadoes just weren’t really there.

My hope was for some good structure, and the chance to shoot lightning after dark. The hail risk was definitely there, with cold temperatures aloft, but I didn’t want to bust any windows, so I had no intentions of venturing into any hail cores.

I was a bit late on my departure, given my last second decision to chase, but set out for Abilene. The plan was to target the triple point, which was right in this area. Or so I thought. Turns out it was further west. There were initially two storms that fired; one way out in Colorado City, and the other down south near San Angelo. Looking at the environment, I felt the southern storm had the better, with CAPE topping 2000, and no crashing cold front to deal with. However, this storm was having trouble getting going, while the Colorado City storm exploded. I waited for the southern storm to show me signs of more robust development, but it wasn’t happening, so I decided to head west. I could always come back to the southern storm later, I figured.

When I got on this storm, it wasn’t super impressive. Just a large flat base, a little ragged wall cloud that didn’t have much of any motion on it, and some small hail. I got a little ways into the core with the intent to pull in behind the thick of it and see if there were any larger hail stones on the ground, but no such luck. At this point between Sweetwater and Roby, I had two options to follow the storm. I could go north to Roby, then go back through the storm to the east on 180, or drop back south and head east on I-20, then back north. The storm was heading NE, so this route was out of the way, but it was moving so slow, I didn’t feel it would be a problem. I’m glad I chose that route, because as I got back to I-20, the storm began to weaken, and lost its severe thunderstorm warning. Then I check the radar, and what do you know, that southern storm had blown up! The unfortunate thing at that point was that it had literally not moved! So it was still about an hour away!

It started showing rotation, and went tornado warned as it finally began moving NE toward Ballinger. It was a race for me to reach Ballinger before the storm did. This is the worst feeling while chasing! A tornado warning, and you just can’t get to it fast enough! When I got to Ballinger, I was too late to drop south and still be in front of it. I’d have to punch through the biggest hail, and even then the circulation probably would have already passed by that road. So I went east on 67 instead.

I remained in the core of the storm for what seemed like forever, with small hail, heavy rain, and no data! Still, as slow as the storm was moving, I knew that I’d come out of it sooner or later, and finally I did, and got a look at the base. Not a bad looking storm! There was a lowering, and right-to-left motion of inflow, but I did not see any rotation. It was tough to get a clear view in this terrain, which was somewhat hilly, and filled with short trees.

I dropped south out of Valera and found a clear enough spot, and the structure on the storm at this point was awesome!


As it approached me, I had another decision to make. Could I beat the hail if I went back north to 67 and get east of it? I didn’t want to take that chance, so I dropped south instead. I ended up seeing reports of softball sized hail in this storm, so that was probably a good choice, but I may have still been able to make it. Nonetheless, I had to drop a lot further south than I had hoped for. Poor road network in this area, and every road was dirt, so I wanted to be sure I was on DRY dirt!

I got all the way to 283 and headed back north toward Santa Anna. By this time it was after sunset, so getting dark, and it was difficult to make out all of the features of the storm, but it still had some great structure. There was a tornado reported on it at this time, but I’m still not so sure about that. I saw a video, and in my opinion, you cannot verify a tornado based on that video. Too dark to discern motion, and trees are blocking the view of the ground. But that’s neither here nor there.

I lost data again as I approached Santa Anna, and wasn’t sure if I’d beat the hail to town in order to begin tracking east again, so I was a bit nervous, but at that point I was committed to that route, and mentally accepted that if I got into big hail and broke the windshield, that’s what I’d have to do, haha! I couldn’t drop back south, because if there was a tornado, I’d be putting myself within its path at that point. Luckily I made it to Santa Anna before the core hit, and was able to move east and stay ahead of the storm.

At that point the whole goal was just to stay out in front and shoot lightning. There were some decent anvil crawlers, but they were confined to small areas. The storm remained tornado-warned with signs of rotation on radar, but I never saw anything of interest. Here are a few lightning shots.

And that was all for that chase. No tornadoes, but it was still a pretty fun chase, and I was glad I decided to go for it.

Leave a comment

Posted by on April 3, 2017 in Chase Logs


Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Chase Log: 5/4/15 Indiana

I said yesterday was a surprise chase, but I suppose that isn’t completely true. I was aware of the marginal risk, and the stationary front, though said front was draped over northern Indiana, so I did not expect much down here. I was actually laying on the couch dozing off into nap land when I heard that glorious sound… thunder! To most people, this probably wouldn’t phase them, and they’d continue into a full-blown nap. For me, this was as good as blowing an air horn directly in my ear. Suddenly, I was wide awake.

I pulled up my trusty radar to find multiple storms in the area, one of which carried a severe t-storm warning. I gathered all of my electronic devices and headed out to see what kind of hail was in said storm.

The storm that caught my eye was actually in front of the currently warned storm. It had gained some intensity, but as soon as I started heading west, it began losing strength. Visually, I could see a pretty decent updraft, so I decided to get somewhere with a good view and at least watch it. As it approached, I was in awe that this thing was actually developing some decent structure.


A wall cloud forming with a little tail cloud, and are those striations? In Indiana?! Is there even that much shear in this environment? It didn’t look impressive at all on radar, but continued to look great in person. Obviously I had hoped that some sort of rotation would appear, and perhaps a funnel reaching down and high-fiving the ground, but I digress.

The storm wasn’t moving too fast, and there was a pretty good road network, so I was able to stay out in front of it pretty easily. The only issue was the trees. It took a little bit of searching to find an open area. Further west, the structure became even more impressive.


Are you kidding me?! I’ve never seen anything like this in my home state. And to think, this storm didn’t have any sort of warning on it! It was just a plain old run-of-the-mill thunderstorm. But who really cares about titles, anyway? All that matters is that the storm and I know the kind of relationship we have. And it was a good one!

I continued west, hoping that maybe, just maybe, this could turn into something more, although every time I took a peak at the radar it appeared this storm was losing intensity, rather than gaining it. The inflow looked pretty nice at one point, and even began to pick up some velocity, but there was never any left-to-right motion on the other side.


The striations are very evident on the picture above. That whole flying saucer was rotating broadly, albeit slowly. The wall cloud, however, never got any rotation. I ended up staying at this spot and letting the storm over-take me. After this, I drove south to get into the storm just behind this one. It carried with it some small hail. Like, really small. Not much to see there. I tried and tried to get some lightning shots, but to no avail. I actually did capture one earlier in the evening, but it was so quick on my long exposure that it was extremely faint on the picture. Well, I suppose I can’t complain! No big hail, no tornado, nothing severe at all, not even a warning of anything severe, but mind-blowing structure! I’ll take it!


Leave a comment

Posted by on May 5, 2015 in Chase Logs


Tags: , , , , ,